This tart has a FABULOUS crust (like, SOOO good...!) that is crisp with a slight chew. Personally, the crust is always the best part of any pie and this one surely was! However, that is not to say that the filling wan't good! It was light, creamy, and had a tang that was perfectly balanced with sweetness (but not too much sweetness!) This is definitely my favorite AIP (and starch free) pie so far!!
AIP Lemon Cream Pie
For the Crust:
- 3 Tablespoons of Coconut Flour
- 1 cup of Dates (packed)
- 1 cup of Shredded Coconut
- 4 Tablespoons of Melted Coconut Oil (melted then measured)
- 1/2 cup of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 5 Tablespoons of Maple Syrup
- 1 can (14oz) Coconut Milk*
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons of Gelatin**
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease an 8-inch pie dish with plenty of coconut oil and then lightly sprinkle about a teaspoon of coconut flour over it. There should be a very light layer of coconut flour over the whole surface. This helps with sticking.
- Pulse the coconut flour, dates, shredded coconut, and coconut oil in a food processor until it is fine and sticks together when pressed.
- Dump the crust into the pie pan and smash the dough to cover the bottom. It should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake the crust for 9 minutes or until golden.
- While the crust is cooling, pour the coconut milk into a bowl along with the gelatin. Let the gelatin soak up the liquid.
- In another bowl combine the lemon juice, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the bowl of liquid to the coconut milk and whip on high speed until it forms medium peaks.
- Put both the crust and the filling in the fridge for 10 minutes before pouring the filling into the crust.
- Put the pie into the fridge for 1 1/2 hours before serving!