What do you do with a bunch of pears and some blackberries that are going bad? Make PIE!! The filling in this pie is SO GOOD! It is fruity and sweet and the pears take on an amazing blackberry flavor and a bright pink hue! The dough reminds me of a gingerbread flavor and complements the filling beautifully! Once again I used plantain flour (My FAVE! Learn how to make it here) and the dough was so workable! It is so exciting to finally find an AIP flour that makes dough that isn't incredibly sticky or crumbly. Yay!
After sampling my gorgeous creation, the only word that comes to mind is "phenomenal"-simply amazing. Perfectly sweet with delicious chunks of pear and blackberry and a lovely cinnamon ginger crust. And my word...that coconut whipped cream really finished it off!
For the filling:
- 1 cup of Blackberries (halved and mounded)
- 7 cups of Pear (diced)
- 1/4 cup of Honey
- 1 teaspoon of Gelatin (if using Great Lakes brand then use the red can)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon of Plantain Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil (chilled=IMPORTANT!)
- 4 Tablespoons of coconut water (chilled)
- In a pan, start cooking the diced pear and blackberries on medium heat with the lid on and stirring occasionally.
- After five minutes, add the honey and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Add the gelatin (by sprinkling very carefully so it doesn't clump) and turn to low for 3 more minutes or until the juice is no longer watery and is thick and then remove from heat.
- Put the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger into a bowl and stir well.
- Then, add the coconut oil and coconut water and mix quickly with your hands trying not to get it too warm.
- If it becomes warm and hard to work with, pop it in the freezer for a couple minutes.
- Roll the dough out into any shape you want! You could make it a crumble and mush the dough on or you could roll it out and make a lovely top. You could even make little shapes and lay the dough on top-whatever YOU want!
- Put in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with whipped coconut cream if you want and enjoy!