As me and my family continue to figure out new intolerance and sensitivities, it makes it nearly impossible to find a suitable sauce. With not being able to use vinegar, nutritional yeast, sweet potato, and fish sauce, there is barely anything left to use to create something yummy to drown our food in.
Until now. *cue dramatic music*
Pesto is one of those things that you can smear on just about anything, and it will give an incredible punch of fresh and herb-y flavor! One of my favorite things about this pesto, is that when it has been chilled in the fridge, it solidifies, allowing it to be scooped up by plantain chips and devoured! Or, you can put it on hot food, and it will melt into a deliciously chunky paste! No matter how you eat it, whether on a spoon or on some food, it is bound to make your eyes roll in approval!
Enough chit chat! On to the recipe!!
- 1 cup of Coconut Chips
- 1 1/2 cups of Basil
- 1 1/2 cups of Spinach (packed)
- 1/3 cup of Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- 3-4 strips of Cooked AIP Bacon (optional...but recommended)
- Pluck the basil leaves from the stems and add to the food processor.
- Add the coconut chips, spinach, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and oregano.
- Chop the bacon into several chunks, then add it to the other ingredients. (This is to get a more uniform texture...although I doubt I would mind if I got a big hunk of bacon in my pesto!
- Pulse the food processor until it reaches your desired consistency. It is both fabulous when it is super chunky, as well as when it has been processed smooth.