March 16, 2017

AIP "Chocolate" Fig Cookies

Recently I discovered my new love for figs! Once upon a time I tried raw figs but to me, they tasted like a dry, slightly fruity cucumber. And who knows, maybe the one I had wasn't quite ripe...either way, I wasn't a fan. Fast forward a bit and I discovered our Costco got a new shipment of dried fruit; figs! They looked SOOO good so we decided to buy some! Oh goodness...my heart warmed when I tasted the sweet, chewy, and lovely fruit! They were almost like a raisin but WAAAY more delicious! And, I was glad to have them as a replacement as I can no longer have raisins (see why). I couldn't wait to try out some recipes with these new nuggets of goodness!




These cookies have GREAT flavor! They are chocolate-y (thanks to the carob), they are mildly sweet, and they have yummy chunks of chewy fig! Hmmm... :) To be honest, they ARE a tiny bit drier than usual but they hold their shape well and are PERFECT with a nice cup of tea! Because Mom and Sierra aren't eating starch for the time being, I had to get creative in holding them together (hence why they are a little dry!) But, even my Dad who eats a normal diet liked them! Bonus!!


AIP "Chocolate" Fig Cookies

  • 1/2 cup of Coconut Flour
  • 3 Tablespoons of Coconut sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
  • 1/2 cup of Dried Figs (chopped)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of Carob Powder
  • 5 Tablespoons of Applesauce (I blended up a raw apple and took it from there) 
  • 5 Tablespoons of Avocado Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons of Gelatin (the kind that gels (Great Lakes red or orange can))
  • 2 Tablespoons of Water
  1. Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl and set aside. (Also preheat oven to 350*F)
  2. Sift all dry ingredients into a different bowl, leaving out the figs. 
  3. Stir the wet ingredients (to allow the gelatin to fully soak).
  4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  5. Stir the wet into the dry and add the figs. 
  6. Make small cookie discs on the parchment. 
  7. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until they smell and look done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment