Look at those beauties! I used homemade plantain flour by dehydrating green plantains and then grinding them up but you can use the store bought kind too! I also used homemade coconut milk made from fresh coconuts but like the flour- you can use the store bought kind if you would like! I simply can't believe that they puffed up in the oven- and it filled the whole house with the smell of fresh biscuits! This is such a great recipe for when you are just craving something bread-y but healthy!! Yay!
AIP Plantain Biscuits
Makes 11 medium size bicuits
- 1 1/4 cups of plantain flour
- 3-4 Tablespoons of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar
- 1/4 Tablespoon of baking soda
- 1/2 Tablespoon of cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (chilled)
- Sift all dry ingredients (plantain flour, coconut flour, salt, coconut sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar) into a bowl using a sifter (a strainer and a spoon work just as well)
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Add the coconut milk and coconut oil and mix with your hands. You got this- don't be afraid to get a little messy (it helps if you pretend like the tiny amount of dough under your fingernails doesn't bother you! Ha!)
- Sprinkle some coconut flour on a cutting board and roll out your biscuits until they are 1/4 inch thick. You may need to add another Tablespoon or two of coconut flour if the dough is really sticky
- Use a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter and cut out your biscuits. Then, lay them out onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all of the dough is used up
- Admire those amazingly beautiful rounds of doughy goodness ;)
- Put them in the oven and let them bake for about 10 minutes but make sure to keep an eye on them because they get done quicker than you would expect!
- Wait a couple agonizing minutes for them to cool and then eat one. Yup. This recipe is a keeper!